Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

Thursday 7 May 2009

Visitors

From time to time every summer, the mooring points between where I live and Greenwich are occupied by a visiting ship. Often it's a small-ish cruise liner, but occasionally it's one of our own naval ships. This week it's the Illustrious, an aircraft carrier with a special relationship with the City of London. As you might expect, it comes with an impressive array of helicopters and Harriers. Today must have been a special bigwigs visit day, because the helicopters have been whizzing around, and this evening they must have been throwing a party, because the rest of us have been treated to one of my favourite treats, a firework display, and it was spectacularly loud and bright - more than I would usually expect to see from the bedroom window. Mind you, I have to wonder whether any of my taxes has been paying for it - or may be the City still had a bit of spare cash left?

No comments:

Post a Comment