Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

Friday 17 April 2009

Earworms

Goodness, how time flies. How do people manage to find so much to write about, so often? Yes, I do know the answer: they lead interesting lives and think and write interestingly about them (it was a rhetorical question, all right?).

The other day, a chance remark at work brought to mind just how many old advertising jingles are stuck in the back of my mind. Some are even from before I was born, since my mother was the kind of person who would burst into all sorts of odd songs from time to time - "High o'er the fence leaps Sunny Jim, Force is the food that raises him", that sort of thing.

While contemplating the price of cleaning fluid for the carpet washer last weekend, I sadly recall that, once upon a time, "1001 cleans a big, big carpet for only half a crown". But that exception apart, the truly odd thing is that I still remember so many adverts for products that disappeared years ago.

I suppose I bought the odd packet of Murraymints ("Murraymints, the too good to hurry mints!") and a cooling draught of "Lovely Jubbly", but I don't think I would ever have followed up on "For a really professional finish, use Hadrian" (paint). Not so much brainwashing as brain-staining - like those irritating drips off the teacup that you don't notice till after they've firmly set on the front of a favourite shirt.

Still less was I then in the market for "Luxury you can afford - by Cyril Lord" (carpets) - but it wasn't too far to the back of the mental lumber-room when someone mentioned it in the office, especially since it featured in the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band's immortal "I'm Bored".

I say "immortal", but I can't find an online version I'd care to post here, so instead here's another of their jocular numbers. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment