Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

Thursday 22 January 2009

On wings of song...

My thanks to Ms Scarlet for awakening me to the delights of Mrs Miller's singing. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of her before, because I'd have expected her to have quite a market in the UK of the 1960s. In classical music, we had delighted in Gerard Hoffnung's concerts, were well acquainted with PDQ Bach and Florence Foster Jenkins, and in the more popular field Jonathan and Darlene Edwards were not unknown. And after all, any sort of evidence of American over-ambition has rarely been without a welcome here.

But this incomparable diva was indeed unknown to me: my first thought was of our own dear Mrs Mills:


but a moment's listening took me inevitably to the unforgettable:

No comments:

Post a Comment