Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

Saturday 20 October 2007

I had thought about going to see the Camouflage exhibition at the Imperial War Museum this weekend. I'd like to say I couldn't find it; but the truth of it is, when it came to it I just couldn't be bothered.

It's the weather. I feel like one of those late wasps that sometimes stumble around in a sudden warmth of the sun in the first chills of autumn, not quite knowing what they're trying to do.

So after doing my chores for the day, I thought I'd see the waxwork of Jonny Wilkinson that replaced Alison Lapper in Trafalgar Square, with some pertinent thoughts about the symbolism. But though the giant St George's Cross flew all round central London, the waxwork seems to have made way for the celebrations of Eid. I couldn't hear much of what the rappers were saying (I rarely can), and I don't like feeling hemmed in by crowds, so instead I settled for home, and the first Marmite crumpets of the autumn.

2 comments:

  1. Just as well they took Jonny down. Are they putting one up of Percy Montgomery instead? Right outside S.Africa house, would be fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tush, madam. Pointing Percy at South Africa House - for shame!

    ReplyDelete